Here's another quick how-to video that falls under “things that don't make sense when you're new to WordPress,” which, I'm finding, is a vast quantity of things.
One thing I recommend everyone do is pay for Social Warfare. It's a plugin that pulls the right image for your post, no matter what image you have in your post, and puts the correct version on social media.
But since it's a plugin you have to buy, they have their own website. Even typing that seems silly, because, of course they have their own website! They're a company!
What I mean, though, is that when you buy their plugin, you download it from their site. And if you've only ever browsed for plugins from within WordPress, figuring out how to do this can be mystifying.
Watch the video at the end of this post, or read the step-by-step instructions below.
How to Install a Third-Party Plugin
- Get a plugin from a website, like Social Warfare
- Download the plugin
- DO NOT UNZIP IT
- Head over to WordPress (the wp-admin area of your site)
- Go to Plugins–>Add New
- Click Upload. It's right next to the “Add Plugins” area
- Avoid the temptation once you're on that screen to click Browse, because that'll take you back to the last screen, even though that word often means “browse for a file on my computer.” In this case, you want to click Choose File.
- Upload the zipped file. You didn't unzip it when we weren't looking, did you?
- Follow the directions to activate the plugin. Each plugin is a little different.
- You're done! Now you know how to install a third-party plugin without having to search for it twice. Go you!