I have a bad habit.
Well, I have several, but we're going to talk about the one that, try as I might, I just can't shake.
It's about themes. WordPress themes. StudioPress themes, if we're getting really specific. Of note: I am a StudioPress affiliate (and fan girl), so if you purchase a theme through my link, they send me a bit of a thank you in the form of cash.
Every time they release a new theme, I am tempted to change my website. I realize this is awful for consistency, but I simply can't help it. I justify my near-constant theme updating in the following ways:
- At least I'm not changing my logo or my colors
- There was something wrong about the last theme I had
- I need to see if this is a theme worth writing about
So, last week, when I was ostensibly on vacation, I bit the bullet and downloaded the newest theme from StudioPress: Smart Passive Income Pro.
If you're not familiar with Smart Passive Income, it's a site run by Pat Flynn, who makes a ton of money on the internet. His money is not made passively, by any stretch, but it's a lot, so if you want to learn a thing or five about how he makes money, go over to his site. But be warned: it's a rabbit hole where you may emerge three hours later wondering what just happened.
Anyway, he partnered with StudioPress to release a new theme. And once I saw it for the first time, I was hooked.
Isn't that neat?
It took me a week before seeing it, playing with the live demo, and thinking about it finally caught up with me, and I had to install it.
And I have to say, I love this theme.
Why I'm Enamored With Smart Passive Income Pro
- Easy customization. First of all, it's ridiculously easy to customize. The instructions are clear, and with a bit of switching around, I had my colors, not Pat's.
- Quick turnaround. From the time I installed it to the time I hit “save and publish” was somewhere around two hours, which is significantly less time than the last theme I customized.
- It's exactly what I want. This is key, because I know just enough coding to break a site, so I want something that looks great right out of the box. I haven't even changed the fonts, which is really saying something.
- There are just enough widget areas. Not too many (like the last one I had), and not too few.
- It's really responsive. Not just for mobile, but for smaller desktop screens as well. I love that.
So, I'm really happy with the look of my site, and I won't be updating it any time soon (although I always say that, and, like an addict, it's never true for long).
Other Great StudioPress Themes
Here are a handful of other awesome posts from StudioPress:
How often do you update your theme?